My Blog List

Friday, October 29, 2010

BIOREMEDIATION OF BRUMA LAKE 29 OCTOBER 2010

It has been disappointing and slow progress since beginning to inoculate the Lake on Wednesday. Lots of logistical problems:
  • The water tanker that we ordered did not pitch
  • The guys from the Zoo Lake Horticultural Training Centre arrive after 09:30h and then take a tea break till about 10:00 or later
  • Of the 12 /13 sponsored learners, who applied for the Horticultural Training i.e. to further their interests in farming, nurseries etc. only 2 are prepared to get their hands dirty - in my eyes a total waste of taxpayers money. Nice bunch though - I now know all about 'SA has Talent', Idols and So You Think you can Dance etc.
  • An interesting observation; yesterday, Thursday, we inoculated from the banks of the Garden Court Hotel and I asked the Hotel Manager if the hotel would make them some sandwich's and tea for breakfast for which I would pay - the hotel put on a magnificent spread and set it up on the pool deck - real 4 star treatment. Only 2 of the students came to thank me - the same 2 that are prepared to work.
  • The water level is too low in which to float my rubber duck!

Progress

Wednesday - We eventually got started after 11:30h inoculated with 500 litres of EMgro SAEM and added some 1 000 SAEM Bokashi Balls. I was told that there was not sufficient time left to collect another tanker of SAEM as the learners had to get back to Zoo Lake to shower and get ready to knock off by 14:30h. So an effective 1.5 hours work was done

Thursday - On arrival I first went and inspected the area that we had inoculated the previous day. The improvement and change was far beyond that what 'I even' anticipated, the sludge was bubbling away and much debris was floating to the surface. I decided to go and inoculate from the opposite side of the Lake - from the banks of the Garden Court Hotel. In discussion with the Manager of the Hotel; she informed me that this was the first morning in ages that they woke up to 'no smell from the lake'.After having their breakfast we managed to spray 1 000 litres and distribute another 1500 Bokashi Balls before the students had to leave; 14:30h!

Friday / Today

On arrival today, I was greeted by the most unbelievable experience - remember that I am a bit of an environmentalist - there were lots of tubiflex worms swimming around in the water that we inoculated the previous day!!!!!! So excited. This tells me that the oxygen levels are normalising, the pH levels are stabilising to suitable levels and that the water is becoming able to support small animal life.

I really did not believe that this would happen so quickly.

We managed to dose with 1 load / 500 liters of EMgro SAEM, add 500 Bokashi Balls and was informed at 10:00h that today was half day off.

So the Summary: I was hoping to have inoculated the entire surface area of the Lake with some 10 000 - 15 000 litres of EMgro SAEM by the end of today but only achieved 2 000 litres over about a quarter of the surface area of the lake

In spite of the above, amazing progress and change has happened.

The way forward from here;

  • I will be meeting with Jane Eagle, Assistant Director Environment, on Monday to discuss and formalise a more reliable and efficient inoculation procedure to be followed into the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment